Sunday 27 March 2011

whey-hey

After last night's bananary cupcakes the troops were kind of hacked off there wasn't any for them, so despite feeling like slightly lukewarm death, or at the very least Bill, er...Sky? Door! ... I caved and made them some banana muffin-cakes.  These were a bastardisation of the banoffee cupcakes and the banana and cinnamon muffins, and though I do say so myself, are light and fluffy with just the right amount of banana, spice and sweetness.  I used a combination of cinnamon and nutmeg with caster sugar for the sprinkling which prevented the nice doming shape I got last night, but it formed a wonderfully crunchy crust that is at odds with the moist soft sponge.  I would make them again if I remember to write down what I did instead!

I also made some microwave lemon curd.  I do love this recipe.  So quick, simple, yields just enough for a jar and a small pot (which you can give away) and tastes soooooo much better than shop bought! 




Microwave Lemon Curd

you will need:

1 large microwavable bowl or jug, glass is better but plastic works too
2 lemons, juice and grated rind.
3oz butter (90g)
3 eggs (medium)
10oz (300g) caster sugar

Melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  Whisk the eggs and sugar together, then add to the melted butter.  Mix in the juice and grated rind of the lemons.  Whisk together and put into microwave on full power for 3 and a half minutes, whisking every minute until thick.  You may need to zap it for another minute, but whisk and check after 30 seconds.  When thick and lemon curdy pour into a sterilised prepared jar or ramekins. Leave to cool at room temperature, and store in the fridge.  If it lasts three days I'd be surprised, but I wouldn't keep it past a week :D


Of course the reason I wished to make curd, was not just to spread it thickly on my hot-buttered Oatilicious toast tomorrow morning, though that's a perk, it was to make a batch of lemon curd cookies.  I found a pic of some on a blog randomly yesterday and the path to the recipe was buggered.  So I'm going to have a play day tomorrow with some biscuit dough and dollops of lemon curd and will bring you much pictorial evidence of my machinations! I promise to take them in better light too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment