Tuesday 29 March 2011

a day late but no short dollars

Due to being pawly, my biscuit trials had to wait til today.  I'm still not great but I am much better ...



So, the lemon curd biscuits ... I used a variation of Nigella Lawson's birthday biscuit recipe for the dough - I don't use vanilla essence as a rule, as my sugar is stored in a large kilner jar with shedloads of vanilla pods!




90g soft unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
1 medium egg
pinch of fine salt
half tspoon baking powder
210g plain flour
tspoon vanilla essence
mix the butter and sugar on a moderate speed until light and mouss-ey, then add the dry ingredients and egg. I add half flour mix, then egg, then other flour and mix slowly - if it takes a while to form into a ball of dough add a teaspoon of milk and it should all come together. Now you can chill the dough especially recommended for intricately shaped cutters but for these particular cookies you don't need to. 

I used a round cutter from a enormous mix box that is 10cm in diameter. I'd reckon the dough would be between 3-5mm thick at this stage.  This meant I could add a generous teaspoonful of lemon curd. I made seven generous dollops from 1 small ramekin of homemade curd (refrigerated).  I still had dough so I made 5 with Nutella. Mostly because I was curious and I didn't want to sacrifice any more lemon curd.


I folded them over then pinched the edges of the crescent together, taking care to not let the filling smoosh out.  I then flipped them and put them onto a prefloured baking sheet.  I baked them for about 12 minutes on 175 C in a fan assisted oven then dusted them with icing sugar and transferred them to the cooling rack.

The Nutella ones I dusted with icing sugar and cocoa - so we could tell the difference.

I sat down and checked my phone, as I knew Sigrid was coming over about 3.30 - this was 3.33 by the way...and she'd requested scones!  Eeeeek!  Half an hour later and these babies were just out the oven :) I like it when they  'laugh' ... and yes, they are huge :) and lovely with a nice smear of fresh butter melting in



I'd love some feedback and if you make the biscuits please let me know how you got on! Pix too if you feel generous :D

No comments:

Post a Comment