Saturday 26 March 2011

No. Sleep. Til' Bakin'

It was a while since I'd seen Chris, one of our day managers who has moved on to nights.  What with time off, training, rotas and so forth.  So it was good to see him really beginning to blossom (he'd smack me for such a camp comment but I like it ;) )into the role.  I had promised I'd bake but he didn't say he was in!  So I know Lee and Chris are both in tonight.  I owe Lee some scones, as he missed out the last bake-in.  But tough, tonight it's banoffee cupcakes or nothing!

I bought another Hummingbird Bakery book, which is chock full of more amazing recipes that just scream out for being made.  This time the recipes mention there may be surplus to the amounts indicated, which is a great touch.  For, as an exact science baking can be, sometimes the results vary and you get much more than you bargained for.  These cupcakes call for a fiddly custard/con de leche (I'd assume the caramel condensed milk in the tin would be an ideal substitute for this) topping, but I opted for a slightly soured whipped cream topping with a hint of banana in it, topped with fudgy pieces.  I got 20 out of this recipe, so I'm taking 18 to work and the other two got the thumbs up from my tasters (Piper and Taede) 

The boys are still at their dad's but have opted to come home to sleep, which is a heck of a lot easier to be honest, as it's an early start tomorrow morning rugby wise. 
I feel terrible that they prefer to stay here, but I am a firm believer in them being able to make the choice, though sometimes I steer them in the right direction. 


Next weekend, as it is the wedding, (Tash's, not mine!), Steve will be staying over with us, and I'm sure, while he won't be looking forward to a noisy night in the boys' room (snore?  champions at it!) they will be happy to have him in their domain for a change!

So, having vegetated for a couple of hours after getting up  (couldn't sleep but had no energy!) I've now been fed, and am contemplating a nice bath before getting ready for work. 

See you! x

No comments:

Post a Comment